Wednesday, May 9, 2012

House Honey: Clean & Green (her post at the bottom)

So.  Here's my crazy.  Jode is out of town.  He left Monday and will be home tomorrow night.  I laid the smack down on my kids Monday night so they know that there's a new sheriff in town.  I can't have any nonsense while I am busting through my days and nights sorting through and purging all of our stuff.  My Mema called it "culling out."  With my last post on saying no to the good and realizing how much insanity I already have in my life, I have come to realize that my problem is an excess problem, not a lack problem.  We really have so much.  


My boys weren't putting their toys away so Jode and I bagged them all up (yep, ALL of them) and put them in the garage.  This was weeks ago!!  Guess what?  They haven't missed them.  And that got me thinking about the stuff I have tucked away and held onto and moved from Texas to Korea to Hawaii to North Carolina and now, finally to here.  Really?!?!  Do I really need to keep 30 nail clippers?  We have clothes hanging in our closet with tags still on them, never worn, and obviously forgot to wear them.  Stuff I have bought for gifts but never executed getting them off to their intended person.  And that makes me sad and makes me realize that I am right.  


There is too much stuff in my life, and too much stuff in my head.  It is an excess problem.  To much stuff overflows into every area of my life.  It occupies my mind, "I really need to tackle that linen closet one of these days!" every time I opened and closed that door.  (Guess what?  DONE!)  It occupies my body, "I need to go to the gym but I have so much to do." Taking something from one room to another and digging through something to find more something is exhausting.  It effects my work, "I can't focus on that until this gets done."  But I don't want to face it and it hangs over my head.  It effects my relationships.  "I will call such and such friend when I am done getting this cleaned up," or "I will take the kids to the park when I get done with this mess."  It was on my mind.  Always.  The stuff that needs purging. That linen closet has been on my radar for a good 6 months and my intentions have been there.  I bought the stuff to help me make it wonderful but I looked in and shoved it on one of the shelves.  I opened the door and looked in about 400 times over these months.  I looked and I got overwhelmed so I just shut the door.  (and leaned on it to make sure it closed all the way) Um. I am convinced it effects our waistlines and our bank accounts too.  Surely, it is an all encompassing state of mind...or mine maybe.




So after tackling mine and Jode's big closet, the closet at the front of our bedroom, under the bathroom sinks, all of the drawers and the hutch in our bedroom, I grabbed all of that stuff from the linen closet and put it on my bed, couch and floor and got going.  Khloe and Lamar helped me and so did those Jerseylicious gals!!  That's what it takes.  Good uninterrupted time, trash TV shows, and a dear friend who is in the same boat.  We have had marathon "culling conversations" and made great progress together!!  The things we have come across have been hysterical and made this process an even better thing.  Because we have laughed at ourselves and at each other, and kept each other from crying or talking ugly to ourselves.  Because we have grown from this already, learning that we really do have everything we need and we have already started to feel FREE! And it is incredible!!  


I can tell you that I am looking forward to next week, when I have the house all squared away.  It won't ever be perfect enough for my crazy perfectionist mind, but it will be good enough and my mind will be clear from the tasks hanging over my head.  I can work and give my businesses all of my focus during work time.  I can plan and create healthy meals for the beautiful people.  I can spend quality time with them when they are home.  And I can get outside and move my body because all I have to do are these things!!!  And I couldn't love that idea more!  It is time to stop the insanity!  Ditch the excess and free your mind!!  You really will feel better! 


Here's my friend's take on the task.  Give it a read!  She will make you laugh!  Guaranteed.


House Honey: Clean & Green: Stuff is everywhere. It is hiding under my beds, sofas, cabinets, it hides in drawers and every "organization" product that Ikea and the C...


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment