Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cross Thoughts

This past Easter season I spent much time thinking about the cross...specifically of Jesus the man, his brutal crucifixion and glorious resurrection. It was something I focused and studied purposely for 8 days during that time. We were not raised with the lenten traditions, and growing up I focused mostly on bunnies (& candy!!), but the cross has held a far more intimate meaning for me these past few years. 

I don't subscribe to any particular denomination.  For me, all religions are man-made institutions and I'm not a fan of labels.   I am a daughter of the Most High King, follower of Jesus Christ's teachings, a Bible believer, and a seeker of truth.  I am blessed to have been raised with a Christian foundation.  This has been my source of refuge, faith, healing, strength and freedom.

Jesus says in John 10:10 of my Amplified Christian Bible:
10The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows)."  

It is said this way in the Message, "A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of."

I am living in this place of gratitude.  More and better than I ever dreamed of!  And truly, ALL because of Jesus.  I am humbled.  I am grateful.  I am satisfied.    

On the Friday before Easter Sunday (Good Friday), I came out of the commissary on a quick stop for a few last minute weekend items to see this in the sky...

And I suppose this has been the inspiration for the crosses I am finding myself spending so much time making. 

A dear friend once told me that he felt the icon of a cross was such a vile representation of torturous and murderous injustice.  (my interpretation and paraphrase of his words)  I agreed then and I do now.  There were many, many people historically killed in this manner and that is awful and terrible and horrible. But the meaning of a cross for me has become "the" cross, and has since evolved into a two-fold thing of beauty. Because when I look, I can see the injustice and hatred and more misery than I could ever imagine and I want to turn away and not look...but then, I also see that my savior endured all of that pain out of incredible love for me, and most definitely, out of that same exact love for you! I can look and remember his sacrifice for my freedom, in much the way I can look at a memorial of a fallen United States soldier.  And I am grateful and humbled again. Just had to share.  

Much love,
Stef

No comments:

Post a Comment